How do arts and media cross borders?
THEORY AND PRACTICE
This certificate will allow you to
- understand how different media function within and beyond literature, music, performance, the visual arts, and digital media;
- grasp the interplay of multiple media within a single work of art (such as a graphic novel or a film) as well as across genre boundaries (as in adaptations);
- obtain ‘media literacy’—that is, to evolve from merely consuming mediated content to understanding how different arts and media construct meaning;
- critically engage with intermediality theory and apply it in practice (through research, creative work, and the option of an internship);
- gain a new perspective on your main field of study through the lens of inter- mediality theory;
- develop workplace skills that will be beneficial in various academic and professional environments, including creative and teaching professions.
How is the certificate structured?
The certificate comprises 21 ECTS and is divided into two compulsory modules: basic (one lecture and two proseminars = 9 ECTS; offered every winter semester) and advanced (two seminars plus an internship; or three seminars = 12 ECTS; offered every summer semester).
Why is this the right certificate for you?
The broad range of intermediality theory and practice offers you numerous options for interdisciplinary research and collaboration. For instance, students enrolled in literary and cultural studies programs can exchange ideas with others who are interested in areas such as creative writing, music, the visual arts, theater, and education.
CLASSES AVAILABLE FOR THE CERTIFICATE “Intermediality: Theory and Practice”
Winter Semester 2023/24:
500.003: Fakultätsweites Basismodul: Making Meanings across Arts and Media: An Introduction to Intermediality Theory, Univ.-Prof. Dr. Nassim W. Balestrini
ENL.04465UB: Topics in Anglophone Literary Studies: Introduction to Intermediality Theory I, Juliann Knaus, MA
ENL.04464UB: Topics in Anglophone Literary Studies: Literary Studies Approaches to Reading Photography in American Literature, Dr. Marie Dücker
512.223: Specialized Topics in Anglophone Literary Studies: Ecocriticism in the Anthropocene, Univ.-Prof. Dr. Nassim W. Balestrini
511.321: Specialized Topics in Cultural Studies: The Kiss of Death: Painting in/and Literature, Univ.-Prof. Dr. Christine Schwanecke
ENP.02032UB: Cultural Studies Seminar: Graphic Novels and Animation Film, Ao.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Klaus Rieser
Coordinator: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Nassim W. Balestrini, M.A.
Centre for Intermediality Studies in Graz (CIMIG)
+43 (0)316 380 2463